Thursday 26 July 2012

An Evening by the Water


Getting ready to sail, River Itchen, 2012 © Graham Dew
Getting ready to sail, River Itchen, 2012

I must admit that I love to go out taking pictures by the water’s edge. The light always feels more luminous and there is plenty to photograph. Unusual objects, reflections, colours, textures, patinas; they are all there to be discovered.

Sail reflections, River Itchen, 2012 © Graham Dew
Sail reflections, River Itchen, 2012

Last night we went down to the River Itchen in Southampton to take my son dinghy sailing. It was a beautiful, bright warm evening. While he was out doing some gentle racing in the light breeze we had time to go for a stroll, enjoy a beer, and take a few pictures.

Jetty detail, Ocean Village, Southampton, 2012 © Graham Dew
Jetty detail, Ocean Village, Southampton, 2012

Unusually these days, my camera last night was my old Lumix LX3, which gets little use since I got the G3. While I love the flexibility of the wideangle zoom lens and the non-cropping multiple aspect ratios of this camera, I really missed the multi-angle viewfinder, speed of operation and the wide aperture lenses of the G3. If only I could find a suitable pouch for the G3 and a spare lens, rather than having to sling a camera bag over my shoulder. Does anyone have a recommendation?

No comments: