Monday 21 January 2013

Snow Fall

Snow on the allotment 2013, #1 © Graham Dew
Snow on the allotment 2013, #1

I've lived in Winchester for almost thirty years now. Until recently snow was an almost unknown phenomenon around here. We would get occasional dumps of snow, but it would rarely be cold enough for the white stuff to hand around for more than a day. Prior to about four winters ago, I think the snow lasted more than 24 hours on only two occasions. My children have grown up denied of the opportunity to play in the white fluffy stuff. For them, snow meant rapidly thawing water ice that was rather poor value to play in. When I was a boy (yes, back in the time of woolly mammoths) we had a collection of sleds and usually had a couple of weeks every winter when we could toboggan down the linear clearings made in the woodland on the Surrey Hills where I grew up.

Snow on the allotment 2013, #2 © Graham Dew

Snow on the allotment 2013, #2
This all seems to have changed over the past four winters, and this year we find ourselves in the grip of another sustained cold snap. On Friday school was out and it was play time! Now the kids are of an age where they don’t want their parents around to go play in the snow, so Kate and I made the five minute walk around to our new allotment to survey the lie of land in winter. We didn’t have much time in the fading light, but it all looked so lovely with the fresh untouched snow. I really wanted to add a gentle splash of flash but perhaps that would have taken too long to set up in the limited time we had available. Unfortunately I’ve not been able to get out this weekend to spend more time taking pictures so unless we get more snow in the coming weeks, Friday’s picture are going to be my snow pictures for 2013. I hope you like them.
 
Snow on the allotment 2013, #3 © Graham Dew

Snow on the allotment 2013, #3

No comments: